Lunar New Year Craft Activities to Celebrate Year of the Ox
Happy New Year! In 2021, the Chinese Zodiac celebrates the Year of the Ox.
Make an ox puppet to celebrate or create a simple firework to start your celebration off with a bang. Lunar New Year is traditionally a time to join with friends and family in a big celebration. We invite you to visit our Lunar New Year Family Zone for a variety of fun activities including festive coloring pages, featuring artworks from our collection, and spectacular videos highlighting Lunar New Year traditions and customs. Register now for our Art & Me Virtual Crafting Workshop designed for children ages three to eight. There is fun for the whole family! Create beautiful New Year masterpieces at home and share them with loved ones both near and far.
Visit our Lunar New Year Family Zone Now
Paper bag Ox
- Paper bag
- White and brown construction paper
- Using the brown construction paper, cut out the following: 2 ears, 2 arms, 1 mouth, 1 oval for the tummy, and 1 tail.
- Using the white construction paper, cut out the following: 2 two horns and 2 eyes.
- Using a black marker, color in two squares at the end of the arms (these will be the hooves) and color circles (pupils) at the bottom of each eye.
- Glue the oval for the tummy the center bottom of the paper bag.
- Glue the arms toward the upper middle back of the bag and the tail at the bottom, also on the back of the bag.
- Cut the shape for the mouth in half. Glue the top part to the fold at the “mouth” of the bag. Glue the other half just underneath on the main part of the bag. Do not glue the paper bag to itself.
- Draw nostrils and a mouth on the upper piece of paper. Add a red tongue on the lower piece of paper.
- Glue the eyes just above the mouth.
- Glue the ears to the back of the paper bag and the horns to the front of the paper bag just above the ears.
- Make your ox a friend and put on a puppet show!
- Toilet paper roll
- Red or yellow paint
- Chenille stems
- Glitter stickers or glitter and glue (optional)
- Paint the toilet paper roll red or yellow. (These are good luck colors for the Chinese New Year.)
- Add glitter decorations to the roll (if desired).
- Fold the chenille stems in half and tape to the inner upper half of the toilet roll.
- Make more and enjoy the fireworks display!